Skip to main content

Help to Buy - D C & Co's View!

So what is all the fuss about?
One camp is claiming the creation of a 'House Price Bubble' the other is saying that many would-be home buyers are going to be disappointed by the actual implementation of the scheme by lenders.
I have to say I'm with the latter view. Basically the HTB scheme doesn't put any money in buyers pockets. What it does is for those who have managed to scrape together 5% of the purchase price it places a form of guarantee with lenders for another 15% of the loan. This means that the buyer has to have sufficient income and financial status to qualify for a loan of that amount. The lender is encouraged to lend more with the comfort of the UK Taxpayer underwriting 15% of that loan. It is to be noted that the first banks to confirm they were adopting the scheme were those still part owned by the state. Were they persuaded by government?  Even with this guarantee the % rate charged is above the rate that buyers would be charged if they were actually able to place their own 20% cash deposit.
It is not just the rate charged that will upset the buyers but the very tight lending criteria. To qualify people will still have to have good jobs and substantial incomes. One has to ask if you can only stump up 5% then do you have the right income to qualify for the loan?
If I think back to 1984 when I bought my first house my deposit was about 10% so 90% loan to value mortgages were not unusual then and I don't see why they should be now.
Advice is take a look with a good independent financial adviser but don't get your hopes up that the dream home you promised yourself is within reach now. Generally, the lenders do not want to see mortgage costs exceed 55% of your post tax income but they will factor in potential mortgage rate rises.
Some further reading at the links below:

http://www.helptobuy.org.uk/
http://on.ft.com/19HV3Bd
http://bit.ly/1ekW96L
http://bit.ly/18jM5ss

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's July 2022!

 How many bloggers find that it's only something they do when they have found some time to fill, for whatever reason? I admit that there are companies and individuals who will write something for me on a regular basis, but my feeling is that it needs to be authentic and my 'voice'. When I get back to my keyboard to do this it makes me worry that the market may be changing and we'll need to start adapting again to new circumstances, new problems and constraints. The dreaded COVID has not gone away, just adapted itself. My wife Janet managed to pick it up from her 93 year old father after spending several hours with him coughing and sneezing on the way back from a trip to Wales. Her first time contracting it since the pandemic began and it's been 4 days now since she tested positive. My results are negative. I told my colleagues that's because I'm a 64 year old Teflon coated estate agent! But then, who knows when a variant particularly targeted at the property
Interest rates and inflation First of all, let’s get some basics together. Reproduced below is The Times ‘explainer’ with my numbering of reasons and highlighting of the players involved: The Bank of England has warned that it could peak at 13% this year when the energy price cap goes up again. But what is pushing up prices? Energy bills are by far one of the biggest contributors. (1) Gas prices rocketed as economies around the world reopened after the coronavirus lockdowns. (2) The war in Ukraine has exacerbated the problem. In April, average gas and electricity prices jumped by 53.5% and 95.5% respectively compared with a year ago. (3) Average energy bills are now forecast to hit £3,850 by January 2023 after Russia cut gas supplies further. Fuel remains at some of the highest levels seen on record, although pump prices are falling, slowly . Average petrol prices were 182.69p a litre in July . In early June you could expect to pay 186.59p. In May you could expect to pay 160.31p